コミュ障 (こみゅしょう, komyu shou) is a slang word that describes those who suck at communication. Although being an abbreviation of ‘コミュニケーション障害 (communication disorder)’, it describes a person with poor social skill, not the actual disability. For instance, you are regarded as コミュ障 if you are very awkward at starting a conversation, or if you are often isolated in a social event and end up checking your smartphone meticulously to pretend that you are tied up with something. Although the word itself is a derogatory term, it is often used to describe oneself in a self-deprecating and somewhat exaggerated way, as in ‘おれコミュ障だから…’ meaning ‘Because I suck at communication…’. By the time when the COVID-19 crisis is over, chances are most people may end up being コミュ障, forgetting how to communicate with others in reality.
Meaning of 人見知り (ひとみしり, hito mishiri)
人見知り (ひとみしり, hito mishiri) is a more general and less negative word than コミュ障, which means ‘feel shy or nervous when talking with someone whom you meet for the first time, or whom you have known only for a short period of time’. This word is also often used to describe one’s personality.
Popular Posts (Slang)
- オワコン (Owakon) Meaning ‘Old-Fashioned’ in Japanese Slang
- Idiom 何を隠そう (nani o kakusou) Meaning “Well, in fact…”
- 女たらし (onna tarashi) Meaning ‘Lady’s Man’ in Japanese
- Meaning of *活: 婚活 (Konkatsu), 就活/終活 (Shūkatsu) and 朝活 (Asakatsu)
- Meanings and Usages of かな, とか, かも: Japanese Vague Expressions
- するする詐欺 (suru suru sagi) Meaning ‘All-Talk-No-Action Fraud’
- ドヤ顔 (doya gao) Meaning ‘Showing-Off Face’ in Japanese
I went to the party yesterday, but because I’m コミュ障 (sh*t at communication) I couldn’t talk to anyone there.
It is too hard for コミュ障 (people who suck at communication) to live in a shared house
Synonyms: ぼっち (* see the link at the bottom)
Synonyms in English: shy, suck at communication, introvert, unsociable
Related words and phrases: