Welcome to Takashi’s Japanese Dictionary (Takashionary)! This is a blog for learning Japanese and introduces intriguing and useful Japanese expressions (e.g. idioms, slang words) that are usually not taught in a textbook or language class. If you want to astonish your Japanese friends using advanced and quirky Japanese words, this is the website for you. Feel free to follow my social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to keep yourself posted!
I’ve made a tool (mostly based on other people’s work) that automatically generates furigana/romaji for Japanese words, splits sentences into words, and provides grammar info for each word. I hope to add more high-tech functions soon.
* I’ve added more comprehensive explanations to counter the widely believed misinformation that 死んでもいいわ (shindemo ii wa)”, which means “I could die (for you)”, would be the “correct” or “appropriate” response to 月が綺麗ですね (“The moon is beautiful, isn’t it?”).
* About 10 words/phrases were added
- “The moon is beautiful, isn’t it?” Could Mean “I love You” in Japanese
- 20+ Essential Japanese Words and Idioms to Describe Food
- Meaning of Kaedama, Menkata and Barikata of Ramen Noodles
- 9 Essential Words and Phrases in Kansai Dialect
- Boku, Ore, Watashi, Atashi: Differences of Japanese Personal Pronouns
- 十八番 (ohako) Meaning “The Songs You Sing the Best”
- 賢者タイム (Kenja Time): When A Man Becomes a ‘Sage’
- Meaning of あかん (akan), the Essential Kansai-Dialect Word
- ありがた迷惑 (arigata meiwaku) Meaning “Unwelcome Favour” in Japanese
- 深夜テンション (shinya tension) Meaning “Midnight High” in Japanese Slang
- Meaning of 某 (bou) in Japanese and its Usage
- コスパ (kosupa) Means More than Just “Cost Performance”
- Japanese Slang and Idioms about 鬼 (Oni): Meaning and Usage
- へったくれもない (hettakure mo nai): Meaning and Usage
- Four Meanings of ノリ (Nori) in Japanese and Their Examples
- Meaning of 腹八分目 (hara hachi bun me) and 分 (bun) in Japanese
- 騙されたと思って (damasareta to omotte): Meaning
- 職業病 (shokugyou byou): Meaning and Examples
- Idiom 棚に上げる (tana ni ageru): Meaning
Select a category to show its latest posts
Search on Takashionary
You can look up words by theme or keywords on Takashionary using the search box below. Once you submit your query, the links to the relevant posts will be shown here instantly (some Google ads may be displayed sometimes).
(e.g. “words about food/money/love”, “cat idiom”, “maji meaning”)