黒歴史 (くろ れきし, kuro rekishi) is a Japanese slang word that literally means “black history”, and figuratively describes one’s embarrassing memories in the past. Obviously, everyone is desperate to forget such painful memories, but unfortunately, there is always this jerk who persistently makes fun of your “black history” and help the memories remain vividly in your heart for good. This slang word is mainly used on the internet, but some young people also use it in real life.
The term 黒歴史 is said to originate from the Japanese popular anime ‘Turn A Gundam’. In this Anime, there is an era called ‘Universal Century’, which is also dubbed as ‘黒歴史’ (‘black history’) to emphasise the dark side of the period, which has witnessed a great number of “space wars”.
Popular Posts (Slang)
- オワコン (Owakon) Meaning ‘Old-Fashioned’ in Japanese Slang
- Idiom 何を隠そう (nani o kakusou) Meaning “Well, in fact…”
- 女たらし (onna tarashi) Meaning ‘Lady’s Man’ in Japanese
- Meaning of *活: 婚活 (Konkatsu), 就活/終活 (Shūkatsu) and 朝活 (Asakatsu)
- Meanings and Usages of かな, とか, かも: Japanese Vague Expressions
- するする詐欺 (suru suru sagi) Meaning ‘All-Talk-No-Action Fraud’
- ドヤ顔 (doya gao) Meaning ‘Showing-Off Face’ in Japanese
黒歴史 consists of two words “黒” meaning “black” and “歴史” meaning “history”. Therefore, its literal meaning is “black history” and indicates the dark side of your history you want to forget.
It is completely my “black history” that I uploaded my sh*tty rap videos on YouTube when I was a junior-high-school student.
Jerk: Hey dude, back in high school you asked out ten girl classmates in one day and got rejected by all of them, right? lol
You: Hey stop it, don’t remind me of my “black history”.
It is my “black history” that I wrote the blog posts about how crazy I was about this girl when I was in high school.
Synonyms and Related Expressions
Synonyms: トラウマ (trauma), 過去の汚点 (past faults)
Synonyms in English: dark history, trauma, mental scars
Related words and phrases: 黒 (black), 歴史 (history)