Welcome to Takashi’s Japanese Dictionary (Takashionary)! This website basically introduces intriguing Japanese words and phrases in English that non-Japanese people generally don’t know. If you want to astonish your Japanese friends using advanced Japanese words or slang, this is the website for you. We also have our facebook page and twitter account. Please feel free to share this page with your friends!
Hello, I’m Takashi. I’m a native Japanese speaker, and also an avid English learner. I’ve created this blog to help Japanese learners talk with their friends more naturally and casually in Japanese. If you have any Japanese words that you can’t quite catch the meaning of, please shoot me a message via a contact page. Also, any suggestion to this blog is highly appreciated.
About Word Description
As you can see, each word is evaluated by a bipolar scaling method on a scale of 1 to 5. Here are the definitions of the both sides:
1. Word Level
- Basic: commonly used; it can be very useful to learn the word
- Advanced: occasionally used; people wouldn’t expect that non-natives know the word
- Standard: used by everyone regardless of their age
- Slang: used only among young people
- Formal: predominantly used in writing or speaking with older people
- Informal: predominantly used in SNS or a daily conversation among friends
I really appreciate the help of my friends and English teachers with proofreading my posts and giving me a lot of fruitful feedback.
For Japanese speakers (日本語話者の方へ)
Aside from this blog, I write another blog in Japanese, where I basically give you some tips about learning English. If you’re interested, please have a look.