思い出補正 (おもいでほせい, omoide hosei) is a Japanese slang word that means “glorification of your past memories and experiences”. Because of omoidehosei, people often overestimate past things or people, regarding them as better than what they actually were. In fact, people usually feel nostalgia for the good old days and can’t help romanticising various types of old memories, such as
- the taste of the food that you had at a famous restaurant after waiting in a long queue
- games you played when you were a child
- the past performance of your favourite retired athletes
- the appearance of your first love back in junior high school
- nights out with the lads in your early 20s
, just to name a few.
Due to the omoide hosei, when you re-experience those things for the first time in decades, sadly we end up feeling disappointed at the discrepancy between your embellished memories and the stark reality.
思い出補正 (omoide hosei) consists of the two words “思い出” (omoide) and “補正” (hosei). The first word means “old memories (usually good ones)”, and the latter word means “modification by correcting or adding something”. Therefore, omoide hosei indicates the modification of your past memories.
Popular Posts (Slang)
- オワコン (Owakon) Meaning ‘Old-Fashioned’ in Japanese Slang
- Meanings and Usages of かな, とか, かも: Japanese Vague Expressions
- 女たらし (onna tarashi) Meaning ‘Lady’s Man’ in Japanese
- Meaning of *活: 婚活 (Konkatsu), 就活/終活 (Shūkatsu) and 朝活 (Asakatsu)
- Idiom 何を隠そう (nani o kakusou) Meaning “Well, in fact…”
- するする詐欺 Means ‘All-Talk-No-Action Fraud’ in Japanese Slang
- ドヤ顔 (doya gao) Meaning ‘Showing-Off Face’ in Japanese
Related Words: 主人公補正 (shujinkou hosei)
主人公補正 (shujinkou hosei) literally means “main character modification”, and indicates that a main character in a game, manga or anime tends to possess more dominant powers, luck and advantages compared to the other characters. For instance, it is very typical of a main character to survive “deadly attacks” from his/her opponent, or to overcome several predicaments owing to shujinkou hosei. A lot of people find it banal if a main character is overly fortified by shujinkou hosei.
Probably there are some omoide hosei (glorification of the past memory), but the ramen I ate in Hokkaido ten years ago was absolutely delicious.
In this manga, shujinkou hosei is too strong and it’s so boring.
Synonyms in English: a glorification of one’s past memories
Related words and phrases: 思い出 (past memories), 補正 (modification/correction), 主人公 (a main character)